Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Brutally Mia, an average Mia, a real Mia

Does it happen to you? When I run into someone whose name is part of an idiom, I find myself compulsively using that idiom. I cannot talk to my friend Frank without saying things like "Well, to be brutally Frank ..." And the other day, I told a colleague named Joe, who had performed some office heroics, that he was "a good Joe," which isn't bad, but I know I'm eventually going to use the phrase "average Joe" in his hearing. I don't know anyone named Dick, but if I did, I would be sure to complain about "a real dick" and "every Tom, Dick and Harry."

It's a minefield out there: "smart Alec," "for Pete's sake," "for the love of Pete," "for the love of Mike," "keeping up with the Joneses," "the life of Riley," "a prostitute's john," "going to the john," "a round robin," "a tom cat," "a tomboy," "a judy girl" ...

1 comment:

jacqueline said...

ok. this post is just funny.

btw: i think you'd like this play:
http://www.tisch.nyu.edu/object/TheClea09082008163322.html

i saw it tuesday wih j and really really liked it. (i was invited by the costume designer because supposedly my garments inpired one of the character's costumes). i'm taking my sister to see it on saturday night. well anyway, i think you'd like it.