Sunday, July 17, 2011

New York death trip

While our bodies were in clear coastal Maine, our minds kept flying back to three riveting New York news stories: the shooting of our big-hearted plumber Paul Shay and his family, the naked Tappan Zee suicide leap of my daughter’s Bronx Science home-room teacher Alfa Choice, and the murder and dismemberment of an 8-year-old ultra-Orthodox Jewish boy named Leiby who made the mistake of thinking it was safe to speak to a stranger because the stranger was a fellow Jew.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,
Being someone from Brooklyn who also pondered over the same stories, I am very happy you were able to leave this city. Sometimes I really dont like it here and sometimes I do,,, a love hate relationship with nyc. -L

Anonymous said...

Hey Mia,
My name is Liz and I came across your blog while reading the comments section of "Breast Cancer? But Doctor,,,I hate pink". I am sorry that you had to deal with breast cancer, it is a disease that should be eliminated from the earth. I lost 4 of 6 people cancer effected.
I too live in NYC and it has been a rather depressing time with the news the last few weeks.
That said, since your blog is a great resource for someone going through cancer I wanted to reach out to you to see if you were interested in a new online social support network (that I am the community manager of!) called I Had Cancer. It is a new and free social support network focused on connecting people based on experiences with cancer so that they can easily communicate with one another and share information. I would love to tell you more if you are interested, so please let me know! Because I was so struck by your writing I would love to send you an early-access pass with extra invites for others you may know going through this journey.

Either way, thank you so much for your writing. Take care and best regards.
-Liz@ihadcancer.com - If anyone would like information on I Had Cancer please email me.

Mia said...

Thanks for the information, Liz, and for reading my blog.