Monday, February 13, 2012

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Super Mia!

My daughter C is interested in lucid dreaming, a state like yoga nidra in which you are asleep but aware that you are dreaming. As soon as she wakes up, she says, she scrambles out of bed and scribbles as fast as she can to capture her dream before it dissipates. The more you practice, the more dreams you can capture.

As C was talking, I suddenly remembered a period in my childhood when I had a serial dream that I continued from one night to the next for several months, perhaps a year. It was such a pleasurable dream that I would plan out my night’s adventures before I fell asleep.

“What was your dream about?” C asked.

“I was Super Mia, flying to rescue people in distress,” I said.

“Mom, you were such a nerd!” said C. “You were such a good person even then!”

The truth is, it wasn’t the do-gooding that I relished. It was the flying!

No comments: