Friday, November 14, 2008

Night and day

You know how Silly Putty breaks when it's cold but flows when it's warm? Well, I find that my body follows similar laws of thermodynamics. After years of practicing mainly in the morning, I've begun attending evening classes (daughter away at school, no need to worry about a timely dinner or homework help), and the difference is more dramatic than expected. I didn't realize I could get my palms on the floor in Uttanasana (Forward Bend) or my soles on the floor in Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog). In the morning I'm like raw spaghetti: rigid and brittle. But in the evening I'm cooked: flexible, soaking up instruction like a sauce, and wet—don't know why, but I sweat hard in my night practice. It's thrilling to make so much progress literally overnight.

1 comment:

Robin Amos Kahn said...

Wow, that is thrilling. I always preferred mornings because I felt I had more energy, but it's great to know that you are taking night classes and there are unforeseen benefits! I like that.