Friday, June 26, 2009

Note to self: shut up

So there I was at the rents' house. Some friends of the rents stopped by, and they asked me how my visit was going. "Oh, great!" I said, "I found a driver for my dad and a new doctor for my mom, and I arranged for a notary to come to the house and witness the signing of the durable power of attorney, and I found a barber for my dad and took him to get a haircut, and I got the OT to meet with us and tell us where to put grab bars, and I found a skidproof bathmat, and I think I've found someone to buy their car!" 

Suddenly I realized that the guests were glazing over. 

And that's the weird thing about eldercare. It's not very interesting. I'm sure there are people who would accuse me not just of being a bore but also of valuing my accomplishments over the pleasure of the rents' company. But getting shit done becomes an obsession. The whole rental enterprise seems precarious to the point of capsizing. Going to visit them is like participating in a supermarket sweepstakes, racing against the clock to secure the situation. Stressful and exhausting for the caregiver, but no one wants to hear about it.

2 comments:

Robin Amos Kahn said...

Wow, I'm impressed. You accomplished so much. I totally remember those visits - those were actually the better times. (I hate to say it.) Congratulations! Good work.

Mia said...

Thanks, Robin. My friends who have preceded me on this path make the journey a bit less lonely.