Friday, July 17, 2009

Blame the victim

When I first got to New York, I met a young woman who had been raped four times within a single year. The first time, she said, her friends were sympathetic and supportive. The second time, they were aghast as well as sympathetic and supportive. The third time, they asked her whether she was dressed provocatively or was in the wrong place at the wrong time. In short, they blamed her. The fourth time, they simply didn't believe her. 

I'm beginning to feel that my family's endless litany of troubles is testing the sympathy and credulity of my friends and colleagues. But I swear, it's all true. 

2 comments:

Robin Amos Kahn said...

I'm so sorry. I don't know what else to say. It's pretty horrible and I send love and support.

Mia said...

Well, I'm just an observer of others' misfortunes, so I'm not really the one who deserves the love and support here. But I'll pass it on in spirit. Thanks, Robin