Saturday, January 7, 2012

Aargh!

As soon as I saw the title in the Times, I knew I was going to get really irritated not just with the article but with the inevitable I-told-you-so’s from those who read it. The title: “How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body: Popped ribs, brain injuries, blinding pain. Are the healing rewards worth the risks?”


Yes. 


The problem is that many practitioners can’t resist the urge to go for the max. I know firsthand. I’m one of those maxers, and I’ve suffered injuries that have chagrined me and changed my practice. I have to constantly remind myself to focus on the journey, not the destination. 


But yoga is not all about the mat. The mat’s my favorite part, but it’s really a trivial element in the overall philosophy of yoga, and it’s beneficial only if it’s approached with the other aspects well in mind.


As with any physical undertaking, yoga asanas have their risks. But the risks of doing nothing are far greater.

No comments: