My son J was, of course, brilliant. But my daughter C was no slouch in the wise-child department. Witness the following from when she was 2:
* "I'm a woman. [Later.] I'm a person."
* M: You're so special.
C: I'm so short.
* M: What are you drawing?
C: A young mom.
* "When I grow up I'm going to be a boy."
* "When I grow up I'm going to have a penis."
* "You're a mommy craphead, and I'm a baby craphead."
* "Water goes away."
* [Out of the blue] "We have mayonnaise."
* [Holding out a raisin] "Want a bite?"
* "Hold me—for God's sake!"
* "Mommy, go away. Daddy, go away. Bobo, go away. And I will do the laundry."
* "Now don't say anything. I am the doctor."
* [To M] "You are pretty bossy!"
* [To brother J] "Go to your room and do your homework!"
* "When I'm a daddy, I will not wear underpants at night."
* [To Other] "You have a beautiful penis!"
* "I love you, Mommy. And I even love myself!"